Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thoughts on the steroid era.

While driving around today, I heard Jim Rome give some insight into the steroid issue of baseball.  I'm pretty much stealing what he said because I agree with it, so these thoughts aren't entirely my own.

Those who used steroids should not be permitted into the Hall of Fame.  They cheated.  Plain and simple.

A lot of people have told me things like "you still have to hit the ball."  Okay, I agree.  And hitting a 92 mph slider might be the toughest thing to do in any sport.  That being said, you are giving yourself an unfair advantage over the competition around you by pumping roids.

What about the kids in AAA who are hoping for their chance to go up to the Bigs who didn't pump up?  How is it fair for them to get trumped by the guy that they watch next to them juicing?  What if they have more talent but get beat out for that spot by a roider?

How about the guys who didn't juice?  They're watching all of their records get watered down by those who cheated.  Jackie Robinson?  Hank Aaron?  Mr. October?  How should they feel?

Now, if baseball were, for some reason, to make steroids legal, maybe my attitude would change.  But for the time being, I can't stand behind McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Bagwell, A-Rod etc...

I do love baseball, but I don't love cheating.  The beauty of sport is competition, and I feel it should be a level playing field for all competitors.

1 comment:

  1. Can't completely disagree, but in the case of Bonds and Clemens, they didn't start on the juice until later in their careers. They were both Hall-of-Famer's before they ever touched steroids. Should they get in because of their pre-steroid careers? Not sure how to handle that...

    ReplyDelete