Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Quick post-lockout thoughts.

My wife has told me several times already, "Don't buy us hockey tickets, I don't want to go."

She's pretty upset with the whole situation.  She also gets upset about how much athletes get paid.  Hence, she supports the NLL where most players have to work another "real" job to get by and playing a sport doesn't make them rich.

I don't have an issue with how much athletes get paid.  I understand the supply and demand economics of it all, but watching billionaires argue with millionaires was really frustrating to me.  Especially because the real losers in these situations are the little guys.

The ushers at the arena making $50 a night.

The street food cart owners.

The parking lot attendants.

The local businesses and hotels.

THE FANS.

When you're a fan of something, it's not just a sport.  Last night we went over to our friends' house for the BCS Championship game.  My buddy is a HUGE Notre Dame fan, the biggest fan I know.  He was upset.  I understand his pain.  Last night wasn't just a game with a team.  It was a CHAMPIONSHIP game featuring HIS team.

There are emotional ties to a team if you're a true fan.

I definitely have an emotional tie or two to the Buffalo Sabres.

My wife bought us Sabres tickets for Valentine's Day a few years ago.  Little did we know at the time of the purchase that it would be "Pegula Night."  Seeing the French Connection skate out to center ice and seeing Terry in tears with his arms around them gave me goosebumps.  My eyes welled up.

Before the puck drops at a Sabres game or before an opening faceoff at the Bandits' games, I get butterflies.  My palms get sweaty.  Am I silly?  I don't think so.  I'm a sports fan.

With all that being said, I am not upset with Mr. Terry Pegula, nor am I upset with the Buffalo Sabres organization.  I am upset with the NHL and a few owners and players, but not enough to deter me from the sport that I love.

Let's drop the puck, let's go Buffalo, and oh yeah..."The Sabres are gonna win that cup, ya know they're gonna win that Stanley Cup."

No comments:

Post a Comment